Book now

Art and Culture

While most towns on the Costa Brava have devoted themselves exclusively to developing their tourist attractions on a large scale, others have sought to preserve their essence and promote it for visitors looking for “something more” than sun and beach.

The preservation of traditions has captivated intellectuals and artists of all ages who have ended up leaving their mark on the territory. The Costa Brava is named after Ferran Agulló i Vidal, writer and journalist who first used this term in 1908 in one of his texts.

Roses is strategically located right in the middle of the so-called Dalí Triangle, formed by the Dalí Theater-Museum in Figueras, the Castle of Púbol in La Pera (where his wife, Gala, is buried) and the painter's house-museum in Portlligat near Cadaqués. History lovers will appreciate visiting the archaeological remains in Empúries, the small Romanesque churches in the region and the megalithic monuments scattered throughout the region.

Ciutadella de Roses

The Ciutadella de Roses (7.3km) is a military fortress of the 16th century in the town of Roses. It is also an important archaeological site of different time periods. It occupies an area of 131.480 sqm. and has a five-pointed wall. The imposing entrance Porta de Mar was established in 1543 an has a Renaissance style.

Dalí Museum

The Dalí Museum (26.7km) in Figueres was built on the ruins of the old municipal theater of Figueres. It has an extensive range of works spanning the artistic career of Salvador Dalí from his beginnings, through the surrealism period until the end.

Dalí House

The Dalí House (24.2km) in Port Lligat is an essential visit. The house consists of a collection of fishermen’s houses purchased in different stages which Gala and Dalí transformed into a labyrinth, decorating it for more than 40 years.

Empúries (Ruïnes d'Empúries)

The Archaeological remains of Empúries (Ruïnes d'Empúries) (35.7km) was a town on the Mediterranean coast founded in 575 BC by Greek colonists. It was later occupied by the Romans and abandoned in the early Middle Ages because of its exposed coastal position.

Peralada Castle - Casino

The Peralada Castle - Casino (27,1km) is set on the first castle built in medieval times during the dynasty of the viscounts of Peralada. During the French invasion led by Philip III of France, the castle and the nearby buildings were set on fire and destroyed. The new castle was built in the mid-13th century and was enlarged in the 19th century.

Sant Pere de Rodes

Sant Pere de Rodes (26.9km) is a former Benedictine monastery in the Northeast of Catalonia, Spain. The origin of the monastery is unknown, having the first documentation of its existence in 878, when it was mentioned as a simple monastery cell consecrated to Saint Peter. An independent Benedictine monastery was founded in 945.